Saturday, January 12, 2013

Float On Markets

This morning I left on a 3 week adventure to Vietnam where I am undertaking a course studying urban design, planning and the environment within the Mekong Delta before doing a leisurely tour up north through Vietnam to Hanoi. Unfortunately this will be my last post for the month as I have not had the chance to line any up for my absence (because I am always too excited about my content and publish them). Of course I am very excited about many of the things I will be seeing (and will be sure to bore you with a few picture based posts when I return). One of my top things to do while in Vietnam is visit the floating markets, especially due to their recent inspiration for the IKEA floating markets in London. 


The IKEA markets floating on the Thames via NOTCOT

Although the floating and night time markets are a key source of income and livelihoods for the Vietnamese people the IKEA markets along the Thames show that urban design and innovative ideas can be taken from a range of places and re-used if applied correctly to the new site. This is a key element of place making and urban design, because if there is one thing I have learnt it is that there is no "one size fits all" approach to place making. What has made these markets look so fabulous is that the inspiration has clearly come from the Asian style market scene but then they have clearly applied the idea to a Western culture as well, particularly the needs and ideas of those in London (and Sweden I guess).  


The Pink IKEA market boat via NOTCOT

There are a whole heap more fabulous photos on NOTCOT. which you can see by clicking here. I would happily visit these floating down the Brisbane river any day! 

No comments:

Post a Comment