Sunday, February 10, 2013

Shhh...Secret Public Realms?

Allright, I am back everyone and I could not have had a better or more eye-opening time than I did in Vietnam. Although I am super keen to get writing on some of my ideas and photos from my time overseas I am struggling a bit with putting some cohesive (and readable!) posts together - but I promise a recap will be up soon, whether it is wanted or not! 

What I am keen to talk about today is the new trend that is emerging of private or secret public spaces, as really brought to my attention by one of my favourite blogs, Pop Up City. Now they have given this trend the term "Secret Urbanism" and it is a retreat from the previous desire for totally open, accessible and transparent urban spaces. The current feeling being cultivated in the urban realm is that of "exclusivity" to add value to spaces and increase the feeling of being able to adventure and really discover something new within our cities. This trend has even started popping up around Brisbane, with "The Walrus Club" hidden on Coronation Drive, Toowong behind a door with a small piece of Walrus Graffiti. Even the branding for these places relies on the secretive and exclusive nature they are trying to cultivate. 

Branding for The Walrus Club via their facebook 
These places go back to the prohibition era and speak easy bars, and commonly appear to have decor in a similar fashion - full of low light, exposed brick and rum drinkers. With the current rate news travels through social media though, how long can these places really remain that secret and at what lengths will they have to go to enforce exclusivity. 

The interior of The Walrus Club via their facebook
In terms of how I feel about this trend I am pretty divided, I love the idea of being able to stumble across the coolest bar or having to hunt to find the place you are looking for, but I don't know how well the idea of exclusive urban realm sits with me. I think it is an interesting emerging trend none the less and definitely one I will be looking into more!

If you are still interested check out the blog post by Pop Up City.

No comments:

Post a Comment